Monday, September 2, 2013

Settembre a Milano

On the first of September...

Meghann and I decided to be tourists. So we went on a walking tour starting with the Castello Sforzesco. This was pretty memorable to me since my dad and I had been there years ago during a long layover. Kinda fun to be there again!


We continued walking and ended up at the cathedral of Milan, the Duomo di Milano. It's the largest gothic cathedral in the world and the largest cathedral in Italy. Construction began in 1386 and the last finishing touches were done in 1965. Loooooong time.

The next location on our route was on a mystery path but we eventually found it, and lunch. The house we sought after was one built in the Renaissance and the oldest house in Milan. And.. we found it. it looked.. like a house. We took a picture and left. I cooked some pasta with home made sauce and steamed zucchini.


On the second of September...

We checked in at Bocconi - which meant that we took a number (common in Italy) and sat down to wait for our numbers to be called. And we waited. (luckily I have a Kindle and an interesting book). Soon enough (30 min later) a lady came out and asked how many exchange students were waiting to check in. There were at least 7 of us out of the 10 in the hallway. She apologized and said that if we went to another building, we could be helped with no wait at all. We went, and sure enough, took less than 5 minutes.

Did a few other housekeeping things like paying for a tour of Milan.. found lunch and we parted ways - Meghann to purchase an Italian phone and me to an Italian crash course. This proved to be yet another example of Italian inefficiency. I went to where an instructional email had told me, the volunteers there didn't know where I needed to be, sent me to another desk who said the same thing, and I went back to the general help desk (where they had sent me to location #1 which correlated to my email) and a different volunteer told me what room to be in... in that exact building. Sigh. So then after 30 min of not having an instructor and being in the wrong room, I found where I needed to be. Except I had gotten placed in a higher level than I needed to be in and will have to fix it tomorrow. Whew! Long day.


Buona Notte!

~Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment